1.12.2010

Arise and Know

Last night I finished reading a biography of Anne Frank with my 9yr old, after putting everyone to bed I researched a story for you and found that Miep Gies,a friend and helper of the Frank family, died last week. I was inspired by her words and hope that you are too. (click the title to watch Miep Gies interview)

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands – Miep Gies, the office secretary who defied the Nazi occupiers to hide Anne Frank and her family for two years and saved the teenager's diary not, has died, the Anne Frank Museum said Tuesday. She was 100.

Miep says "
I am not a hero....
I stand at the end of the long, long line of good Dutch people who did what I did or more – much more - during those dark and terrible times years ago, but always like yesterday in the hearts of those of us who bear witness. Never a day goes by that I do not think of what happened then."

"I don't want to be considered a hero," Miep said in a 1997 online chat with schoolchildren.
"Imagine young people would grow up with the feeling that you have to be a hero to do your human duty. I am afraid nobody would ever help other people, because who is a hero? I was not. I was just an ordinary housewife and secretary."

The humility of this brave, amazing M.O.M. I believe that every
day ordinary acts ARE acts of heroism and to me and many others Miep Gies is a hero. Who and What do you consider heroic?

0 comments: